Timely Notification of Confirmed Delays, Cancellations, and DiversionsThe latest CAL flight status information is available in the boarding gate area (only applicable to flights of the day), on the "Flight Status" of CAL website or via CAL customer service center. With respect to flights scheduled to depart within seven days, we will update the information provided within 30 minutes after we confirm flight irregularities (such as a cancellation, a delay of 30 minutes or more, or a diversion). In addition, if you have subscribed to our flight irregularity notification service, we will notify you within 30 minutes after we confirm any flight irregularities.
Timely Baggage DeliveryWe strive to ensure the timely delivery of your checked baggage. Late baggage delivery is usually the result of a missed flight connection at a transfer point, in which case, the baggage is normally delivered on the next flight. If your baggage is delayed, please report to CAL or the carrier airlines before leaving the airport and complete a Property Irregularity Report (PIR), so that the airline can locate your baggage by searching for it in the baggage location system using the baggage information you provide. We will also make every reasonable effort to find your mishandled baggage back within 24 hours. However, it may take longer to deliver your baggage due to various factors (such as long haul flights, flight frequency, and customs and security procedures at airports). If you intend to pick up the baggage yourself at the airport after receiving a notification that your baggage has arrived, please first contact our local airport office so that we can go through necessary customs formalities and other arrangements as soon as possible. CAL will provide compensation for reasonable and necessary expenses arising from delayed baggage delivery to the extent required by applicable international agreements. If your baggage is lost, CAL will reimburse any fee you paid us to carry that baggage.
Free Reservation Cancellation Within 48 Hours of Ticket PurchaseFor tickets to/from USA, a full refund will be given if the refund request is submitted within 48 hours of ticket purchase and the ticket is completely unused and was booked one week or more prior to the flight departure. For tickets from Korea, a full refund without handling charges will be given if the refund request is submitted within 7 days after purchase and 10 days or more prior to the flight departure. All these applicable tickets shall be purchased through CAL website.
Quick Ticket RefundPlease be sure to have all related materials (credit card, flight ticket and itinerary) ready and cancel your reservation before requesting a refund. We will provide quick refunds through the original way of payment after deducting related fees (the fare and service fees for the used flight sectors). If you paid with a credit card, we will submit a refund request to the credit card issuer within seven business days after receiving your request. The actual date of refund still depends on the issuers' regulations and the credit card agreement; therefore, your credit card bill may not immediately reflect the refund amount. If you purchase with cash or check, we will complete the refund procedures within 20 business days of the date receiving your refund request.
Taking Care of Passengers with Disabilities and Other Special NeedsIn the event of a lengthy tarmac delay after boarding or landing, CAL will provide the essential services to all passengers on board in accordance with China Airlines' Contingency Plan for Lengthy Tarmac Delays.
Consistent and Fair Treatment in the Case of OversalesIf a CAL flight to/from USA is oversold, our airport staff will make sure every customer is treated fairly and consistently in accordance with the regulations of U.S. Department of Transportation regarding oversales. A written statement setting forth these procedures is available at each U.S. airport we serve, specifying the terms, conditions, and limitations of denied boarding compensation CAL offers and the boarding priority and criteria. In accordance with these rules, CAL airport staff will first ask for customers who voluntarily give up their reservations. Apart from offering reasonable compensation, we also provide a confirmed seat on a later flight to these volunteers.
If there are not enough volunteers, some customers who have selected seats may be denied boarding involuntarily in accordance with the established boarding priority. In this case, we will provide a written statement explaining the boarding principles for oversold flights and the rights of customers being denied boarding involuntarily. Usually, CAL will rearrange a flight for these customers and the new estimate arrival time to the destination (or the next transit point) will not be later than one hour of the original flight arrival time. Otherwise, CAL will provide compensation in addition to transportation on an alternate flight.
Disclosure of Cancellation Policies, Frequent Flyer Program Rules, and Aircraft Seating PlanCAL website and customer service center provide important information on CAL policies and services, including cancellation policies, Frequent Flyer Program rules, aircraft seating plan and lavatory configurations.
• Terms and conditions that apply to ticket purchases via China Airlines’ website, including cancellation and refund policies, are provided in the purchase procedure.
• Membership Guide for Dynasty Flyers Program.
• Cabin guide, including aircraft seating plan and lavatory configurations.
Notification of Flight Change in Customer ItinerariesCAL will disclose or timely notify flight changes in itineraries to customers through CAL website or customer service center. Customers who subscribe to "flight notification services" in their registration also will receive such information (including e-mail). If flight changes occur within seven days of departure, CAL will provide notification within 30 minutes after confirming the change. If flight changes occur more than one week before departure, CAL will provide notification no later than 48 hours after confirming the change.
Guaranteed Response to Customer ComplaintsIf you would like to submit any complaints in connection with a CAL flight, you can contact us online or send mails to the following address. After receiving your written compliant, we will confirm with you within 30 days and send a written response within 60 days of receiving the complaint.
USA and Canada:
China Airlines CSS department 200 N. Continental Blvd. EL Segundo, CA 90245, U.S.A.
China Airlines Customer Relations Department, Q2F, No.1, Hangzhan S. Rd., Dayuan Township, Taoyuan County
Services Provided to Mitigate Inconveniences Resulting from Flight Cancellations and Missed TransitIn order to mitigate inconveniences resulting from flight cancellations and miss transit, CAL will make every effort to offer you the following services depending on the circumstances:
• Rearrange a flight to your destination as soon as possible.
• Offer a full refund of the fare for the affected sectors.
• Offer free telephone/fax service to your destination.
• Provide refreshments, meals, and hotel accommodations, if necessary.
Contingency Plan for Denied Boarding in the Case of Oversales
The U. S. Department of Transportation requires that: When oversales occurred, airlines shall first ask for passengers who voluntarily give up their reservations and offer them reasonable compensation. If there are not enough volunteers, airlines may deny the boarding of some involuntary passengers according the booking order.
- China Airlines will not make compensation if the rearranged new flight is less than one hour later than the original flight, and will pay 200% of the one-way ticket price as compensation (up to USD 675) if the new flight is one to four hours later.
- China Airlines will pay 400% of the one-way ticket price as compensation (up to USD 1,350) if the new flight is more than four hours later.
Contingency Plan for Flight Cancellation and Missed Connecting Flight
- China Airlines will not deny the boarding of passengers traveling alone who are young in age and cannot fend for themselves, or passengers senior in age.
- China Airlines will make and provide the following arrangements for passengers:
- Rearrange a flight to the passengers' destination as soon as possible, or
- Arrange a later flight if it is convenient for the passengers, or
- Offer a full refund of the sector, without any fine or handling charge, or
- Provide telephone/telegram/fax services to the passengers' destination
- Provide necessary refreshments, meals, and hotel accommodations during passengers' waiting in accordance with the China Airlines procedures
Contingency Plan for Lengthy Tarmac DelaysTo protect the rights of our customers and provide quality service in the event of lengthy tarmac delays, China Airlines makes this Contingency Plan for Lengthy Tarmac Delays in accordance with the Air Consumer Protections promulgated by U.S. Department of Transportation. This plan applies only to China Airlines' scheduled and charter flights departing from or arriving at the U.S. airports. China Airlines' Flight Control Department is responsible for monitoring flight irregularities and coordinating the execution of this plan.
- China Airlines will not permit an aircraft to remain on the tarmac for more than four hours before allowing passengers to deplane, unless:
- The pilot-in-command determines there is a safety-related or security-related reason why the aircraft cannot leave its position on the tarmac to deplane passengers; or
- Air traffic control advises the pilot-in-command that returning to the gate or another disembarkation point elsewhere in order to de-plane passengers would significantly disrupt airport operations.
- China Airlines will provide adequate food and potable water no later than two hours after the aircraft leaves the gate (in the case of a departure) or touches down (in the case of an arrival) if the aircraft remains on the tarmac, unless the pilot-in-command determines that safety or security considerations preclude such service.
- China Airlines will provide operable lavatory facilities and adequate medical attention if needed while the aircraft remains on the tarmac.
- China Airlines will notify passengers on the delayed flight beginning 30 minutes after scheduled departure time (including any revised departure time that passengers were notified about before boarding) and every 30 minutes thereafter that they have the opportunity to deplane from an aircraft that is at the gate or another disembarkation area with the door open if the opportunity to deplane actually exists.
- While an aircraft is delayed on the tarmac, China Airlines will notify passengers on board the aircraft regarding the status of the delay every 30 minutes, including the reasons for the delay, if known.
- China Airlines will allocate sufficient resources to implement this plan.
- This plan has been coordinated with airport authorities (including terminal facility operators where applicable), U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), and the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) at each U.S. airport China Airlines serves, as well as its regular U.S. diversion airports.
China Airlines offers some covered flights on a code-share basis with Delta Air Lines. The code-share agreement between Delta Air Lines and China Airlines states that the Contingency Plan for Lengthy Tarmac Delays of the operating carrier governs, if different from the marketing carrier. Delta Air Lines' plan may be found here.