Website Overview
1 News/Travel Alerts more
(Please select preffered language
Main Content

Visa Application Information

1. Outbound Passengers with Republic of China Passports

  • Visa Application Information

    You can search for visa application information and local information of other countries on the website of the Bureau of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs at On the website, you can select your destination country and search for related information.

  • Countries with Visa-Free or Visa on Arrival Policies

    Countries and regions, including the E.U., Canada, and the U.K., have granted visa-free privileges to visitors holding ROC passports. For details, refer to the visa free or visa on arrival information on the website of the Bureau of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs at

  • Effective from November 1, 2012, ROC passport-holders can enter the U.S. without a visa. For the applicability of the Visa Waiver Program and its details, please refer to the U.S. Visa Waiver Program column on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs at and the Visa Waiver Program description on the website of the American Institute in Taiwan at

2. Entry into ROC

3. China residents transiting in Taiwan

  • China passport holders taking direct flights from China to Taiwan, flights from China to a third place with a layover in Taiwan, or flights from a third place to China with a layover in Taiwan must carry valid foreign passports or a Taiwan Travel Permit for People from the Mainland as well as the Exit and Entry Permit for the Taiwan Area of the Republic of China. China Airlines shall not be held liable for any responsibilities or losses in the event that passengers without necessary documentation is rejected from boarding. 
  • Our flights to and from Auckland and Christchurch, include a layover in Australia (Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne). China passport holders should obtain an Australia transit visa before departing to Auckland and Christchurch. Please contact Australia's nearest official overseas office for details. You can also browse Australia's official transit visa website at for details (only in English) (not applicable to passengers holding Hong Kong SAR passports).
  • For Passengers holding China (PRC) Passport traveling CI546 from Nanchang transit at Taipei to third destinations, need provide valid passport and third destinations visa. Passenger also need provide China Airlines e-ticket/routing document, which is accepted by Nanchang airport immigration. For those holding other airlines tickets, please call 0791-83960109 and need confirmed by immigration before traveling. If passengers use e-visa traveling to third destinations, please print out e-visa for immigrations inspection.
  • For Passengers holding China (PRC) Passport traveling CI8026 (code share with MU2047) from Nanchang transit at Taipei to third destinations (especially to New York-JFK Airport), need provide valid e-ticket/passport, third destinations visa, PRC residents to/from Taiwan certificate (issued by PRC) and Taiwan entry/exit permit (issued by Taiwan). For those passengers unable provide all of above documents, China Airlines will not responsible for any loss/expenses incurred.

4. Special Notice

The U.S. uses the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) at for online applications. Travelers under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) to the U.S. must complete applications at before departure.

5. Advance Passenger Information (API)

We collect various pieces of personal information from passengers traveling to Australia, Canada, China, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Holland, the UK, the U.S., and so on. API information includes information provided on passports or travel documents as well as other information. Passengers traveling to the U.S. should also provide the first address for their stay in the U.S. The addresses included in the API information will be sent to your destination's entry and exit administration bureau. The API information includes the content of the machine-readable columns on passports:
  • Name
  • Date of Birth and Gender
  • Passport ID
  • Country Issuing Passport
  • Passport Expiration Date
  • Nationality
  • Place of Residence (applicable only to travelers to the U.S.)
  • Address of Stay (applicable only to travelers to the U.S.) The address must include a house number/hotel name, street name, city/town name, abbreviated state name, and zip code.
Home > Fly > Prepare for the fly > Immigration > Visa Application Information