Privacy Protection Policy
We, China Airlines Limited, for the implement of privacy protection and legal compliance of Taiwanese Personal Information Protection Act, General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and other applicable data protection laws/regulations, prescribe this Privacy Protection Policy ("Policy") for the management of privacy and security of personal data.
We will, in a reasonable manner, collect, process and use your personal data within the scope of specific purpose. We ensure that you have the rights and interests with respect to review, erasure, rectification, restriction of using your personal data and withdrawal of your consent, etc.. In addition, we make the contingency strategy and plan for handling personal data being stolen, altered, disclosed or damaged. By way of establishing and maintaining appropriate personal data protection mechanism, we are committed to protecting the accuracy and security of your personal data.
Privacy Protection Statement
We are committed to protecting privacy and security of your personal data pursuant to our Policy. To ensure that you can make informed decisions, please read this Privacy Protection Statement ("Statement") to understand who we share your Personal Data with and for what purposes, and the choices you have concerning how your personal data is collected and used by us. We expect you to feel comfortable to use all related services provided by us.
By continuing to use our services, you signify that you have read and understood this Statement. We may amend this Policy from time to time, the changes will be effective from the date of posting and replaces earlier versions. The updated version will be posted on our website www.china-airlines.com and/or App, and the date will be stamped so that you are aware of when the Statement was last updated.
The types of personal data that we collect depend on the circumstances of collection and on the nature of the service requested or transaction undertaken.
1.1. General: we may collect and process the following categories of personal data:
- Personal data that can be used to identify an individual
We may record your name, gender, date of birth, your nationality, country of residence, passport number and other personal identification numbers, etc..
- Your contact details and personal account or registration details
Your contact details may include your address, telephone number and email address. When you create a personal account, or register for a service, we may also record your log in details and other information you fill out on your personal account or registration form. For cooperate/business members, we also collect information with respect to your company such as company name.
- Information about your reservations, bookings and purchases
When you make a reservation or book a flight with us, we process your reservation and booking information. These travel information may include ticket numbers, flight information. If your purchases made through our website or App, such as Dynasty Package, seat upgrades, excess baggage, duty-free products, we will also process these information in relation to ancillary services.
In addition, we may process your information relating to your use of our flight entertainment system or onboard WiFi service, our lounge service and cargo service, etc..
- Information about your travel arrangement
When you travel with us, we process information in relation to your journey. Such as your travel itinerary, online/App check-in, check-in at the airport counter, check-in baggage, baggage tracking, etc.. We may also record any specified medical needs or dietary requests you have and any additional assistance you require.
- Your payment details
Payment details you used to purchase our services and products, such as credit or debit card information, including name of card holder, card number, billing address and expiry date, etc..
- Your Dynasty Membership
When you become a member of our Dynasty Flyer Program, we will process your membership number, account name, membership tier, mileage, award and other information in relation to your membership.
- Your interests, preferences and options
When you use our service, you may choose to share information with us, such as your interests, preferences, services and products you purchased, your opinions, etc..
- Our communications and interactions with you
We will collect any interactions and correspondence between us, such as calls made through our call center, any interactions you have with our staff or employee, any interactions with us on social media. When you call us, our customer support will register your questions or complaints in our database. We may also record telephone calls for training purposes or to prevent fraud.
- Your use of our website, App and social media platforms
When you visit our website or use one of our Apps, we may register your IP address, browser type, operating system and others. We may collect the way you use our website via cookies and similar technologies, including your browsing history. For more information please refer to our "Cookies Policy and Conditions".
In addition, when you sign in for our services using a social media network account, we may receive your social network profile including your contact details, interests and contacts.
Certain categories of personal information we collect and use can be considered "special categories of personal data" or "sensitive personal data" under applicable data protection law, such as race, parentage or data concerning health, we try to limit the circumstance where we collect these personal data in principle. Nevertheless, this can occasionally occur because you have made certain requests in connection with your travel arrangement or if you otherwise choose to provide such data to us through a third party (e.g. travel agent). For example, requesting a wheelchair from us and/or an airport operator, providing medical clearance form and medical certificate, requesting a particular type of meal.
1.2. Specific categories of data
1.3. Specific services and survey information
1.4. Certain personal data are required for many of our services and products and if you fail to supply such personal data as requested for specific services, we may delay or be unable to deliver you the relevant services and products in full.
We collect the aforesaid categories of personal data from you directly or through third parties:
2.1. We collect personal data you provide to us
2.2. We receive your personal data from your travel agent, our airlines partners and other parties involved in your travel arrangements
- The travel agent who handle your reservations and bookings, and if you use a third party platform to search and book a flight, we may receive your personal data from that provider. For example, your organization's corporate co-worker book a flight for you, we will verify whether he/she is validly identified as acting on your behalf or has been authorized by you pursuant to our security procedures.
- Our service providers and members of China Airlines group. Examples of such third parties include our ground handling agents who assist you with check-in and booking, or our catering provider to accommodate your special meal requests.
- Our airlines partners or third party partners for marketing purpose. For example, when you purchase our services from a participating airline of SkyTeam Airlines Alliance or other third party partners for marketing purpose, they share your earned mileage with us. And if you use a third party platform to search and book a flight, we may receive your identifying information and booking details from that provider.
2.3. When you use our website or App, we collect information via cookies and similar technologies
2.4. We receive information from your social network provider
2.5. We receive information from public authorities or governmental organizations
When you share your personal data with us, here are the main purposes for which we use your personal data in our worldwide branch offices:
3.1. To provide our services and products and process your travel arrangements
- To handle your bookings and travel arrangements, we need to process most of the information mentioned above. For example, we need your name and other identifying information to handle your bookings, or to confirm your booking and to inform you about the latest flight status, we need your contact details. In addition, to ensure you receive the required care, we need to understand your specified medical requirements in order to provide you any necessary assistance.
- To provide our website and App services. For example, we use your name and flight details when you check-in your flight with our website or App, or some of our online services and Apps use your location.
3.2. To maintain your Dynasty membership's rights
3.3. To provide customer support
3.4. For marketing purpose
- To send you updates on our latest news, offers and promotions in connection to our services and products.
- To send you our travel services, duty-free sales, sweepstakes, travel insurances, hotel reservation and car rentals, etc..
- To send you special offers tailored to your preferences or interests, including posting commercials on our website or tracking your interactions with links from third party websites to our website. More information about our partners and the services and products they offer is provided, you may subscribe our newsletter or communication, and can be found on the concerning website.
3.5. For specific services and survey information
3.6. For aviation safety and security purposes
3.7. To comply with our legal obligations and for legal and management purposes
In certain circumstances, we will disclose or share your personal data to third parties as set out below:
4.1. Our service providers and members of the China Airlines group who process on our behalf:Our travel and freight service providers or travel-related businesses and service providers may process your personal data on our behalf. For example, ground handling agents who assist you with check-in and boarding, our airport lounge operators, airport wheelchair service.
4.2. Third parties facilitating your bookings and managing your travel arrangements:
4.3. Our interline, code share and strategic alliance partners:
4.4. Governmental authorities and regulatory organizations:
5.1. Data storage and security
All personal data we collect from you is stored on our secure servers or other safe locations, and we apply appropriate technical measures to protect the security of your personal data. We also comply with our security policies and regulations when accessing or using personal data, and restrict access to your personal data to those persons who need to use it for the purposes for which it was collected.
We will retain your personal data for as long as it is necessary to fulfill the purpose for which it was collected, our legal or business purposes, or as required by relevant laws.
5.2. Data transmission
Your personal data may be transferred to countries other than your country or residence, including those countries with a lower level of data protection than your country or residence. We will use adequate safeguards to comply with requirements for the international transmission under applicable privacy and data protection laws.
5.3. Data destroy
When the specific purpose of collecting your personal data is no longer exists or upon expiration of the relevant time period, we will adopt commercial reasonable and technical practicable measures either to secure destroy or irreversibly anonymize your personal data in accordance with applicable laws.
Subject to applicable privacy and data protection laws, you may exercise your rights by providing the necessary information to help us to confirm your identity and submit the online form, or contact our branch offices or Data Protection Office (please see "Contact Us") to exercise any rights you are granted:
6.1. Right to access and request a copy
- Investigation agencies or governmental agencies object to our compliance with your requirements.
- According to our reasonable judgments and assessments, it is believed that providing such information would interfere with another's rights or affect a person's life or safety.
- The information collected is in relation to breach of contract, suspected fraudulent activities or illegal activities.
6.2. Right to supplement or rectification
6.3. Right to demand the discontinue of collection, processing or use
6.4. Right to restriction of processing
6.5. Right to restriction of automated individual decision making
6.6. Right to erasure
- You believe that it is no longer necessary for us to hold your personal data.
- We are processing your personal data on the basis of your consent and you wish to withdraw your consent and there is no other ground under which we can process such data.
- We are processing your personal data on the basis of our legitimate interest and you object to such processing.
- You no longer wish us to use your personal data for marketing and promotional purposes.
- You believe that your personal data is being unlawfully processed by us.
6.7. Right to data portability
Please be advised that we cannot distinguish the age of persons who access and use our website. If a minor (according to applicable laws) has provided us with his/her personal data without parental or guardian consent, the parent or guardian should contact us to remove the relevant personal data and unsubscribe the minor.
If we become aware that personal data has been collected from a person under a minor without parental or guardian consent, we will delete this personal data and terminate the minor's account, if that minor has an account.
An Internet Protocol address (IP address) is a numerical label assigned to each device participating in internet that uses the Internet Protocol for communication from service provider. We collect your IP address when you access our website, mobile services and App.
We store this information to help us manage security, analyze how our website, mobile services and App interact with you and do the product marketing and advertisement.
We and our affiliates or other business cooperation agencies will use the aforementioned data to include but not limited to transaction amount and travel itinerary to obtain specific information to observe customer behavior and may send this information to our service providers to provide better and more personalized transactions and services.
We need your assistance to ensure that your personal data is current, complete and accurate. Please kindly inform us of changes to your personal data. If you are a registered Dynasty Member, you may update your personal data at any time by logging on to your account.
Your booking information or flight itinerary will be disclosed to the appropriate customs and immigration authorities as required by law. As such, your personal data is very important to ensure that the personal data contained in your booking information or flight itinerary is current, completed and accurate. Therefore, we will request personal data updates from you from time to time.
We will amend this Policy and Statement from time to time, and the changes will be effective from the date of posting; and the updated version will replace the earlier versions. If we make any material changes to this Policy, we will provide notice including by posting the revised Policy on www.china-airlines.com or App, and the date will be stamped so that you are aware of when the Policy was last updated.
China Airlines Limited
Data Protection Officer
No.1 Hangzhan S. Rd. Dayuan Dist.
Taoyuan City, 33758 Taiwan
This Policy and Statement is translated from Chinese and may be translated into other languages. In the event of any inconsistency between the Chinese version and the translated version of this Policy and Statement, the Chinese version shall prevail.
Notice to Certain U.S. State Residents: California Privacy Rights
The California Consumer Privacy Act ("CCPA") provides some California residents with the following rights. If you are a California resident, you can make certain requests with respect to your personal information. To the extent CCPA apply, we will comply with such applicable law.
California residents have the right to know what personal information we have collected, corresponding to the following categories of personal information:
- Identifiers: such as name, address, email address, IP address, account name, passport numbers, your Dynasty Member ID number, cookie information or other similar identifiers.
- Customer records: such as phone number, billing address, credit or debit card information or employment.
- Demographic information: such as age, gender, medical condition, marital status or disability. This category of information will also be protected under classification characteristics under applicable laws/regulations.
- Commercial information: such as services and products purchased or opinions you shared with us.
- Internet activity: such as browsing type, browsing history, search history and other information collected automatically.
- Inferences: such as interests, preferences, favorites, psychological trends and behaviors.
For more information on what we collect, including the sources form which we receive information and the business or commercial purposes we use these categories of information, please refer to "How we collect your personal data" section and "For which purpose we use your personal data" section.
To the extent required by applicable law, you may have the right to request to know what personal information we have about you in the preceding 12 months, including a list of categories of your personal information that we shared with another company for business purposes. In particular, a "right to know" may entail providing you with the following based on the details of your request:
- The categories of personal information we have collected about you.
- The categories of sources from which the personal information we collected.
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling your personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we shared your personal information for business purposes.
- The specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you.
Once we receive your request, we will verify and confirm accordingly, and will endeavor to disclose to you the information you requested.
If the applicable law grants you a right to request the deletion of any of your personal information that we hold about you. Once we receive your request, verify and confirm your request, we will delete your personal information from our records and direct our outsourcing service providers to do the same, unless an exception applies.
We do not generally sell your personal information for monetary consideration. However, to the extent "sell" under CCPA is interpreted to include the transfer or communication of personal information by a business to another business or a third party in such a way that conveys value to the recipient, even if that value is not monetary. This means some advertising technology activities and sharing information for common business activities may be considered a "sale" under the CCPA, such as those disclosed in the "For which purposes we use your personal data" and "Disclosing or sharing personal data with third parties" sections, even there is no exchange of money.
To the extent CCPA applies and we sell your personal information as the term "sell" is defined under the CCPA, you have the right to request us to stop "selling" your personal information by completing the online form in below "How to exercise your CCPA privacy rights" section. You may also refer to "Contact Us" section for further details.
We assure you will not to receive any discriminatory treatment by us for the exercise of your rights. To be specifically, it means we will not deny you services, charge different rates or fees, or provide different level of service or quality of goods.
Please complete the online form and provide us the necessary information to help us to confirm your identity, or you may refer to "Contact Us" section to exercise your above rights. When you contacting us, please specify what kind of request you are seeking to make and the scope of the request. In some circumstances, we may require specific information for you to help us verify your identity and process your request. If we are unable to verify your identity or we are not required by law to comply with such request, we may deny your requests to know or delete.
Cookies Policy and Conditions
A "Cookie" is a small piece of data file which is downloaded onto your device by the website you are visiting. Cookies are sent by a web server to be stored on a web browser. The data collected from Cookies is to read and differentiate the preference of the individual user. The next time you visit the same website, Cookies ensure that your device is recognized. By using Cookies, this website can save information about visits and visitors.
(1) Technical useEnable our website to operate effectively, including but not limited to:
- Control website traffic to ensure that all users have the same stable and reliable service;
- Restrict the flow of important areas of the site and maintain its operational level;
(2) Ease of useThe Cookies allow you to browse our web more easily, including but not limited to:
- Memorize your chosen language and country and provide relevant content;
- Track of Dynasty frequent flyer member numbers you have logged into the rewards program;
- When booking a flight, provide the departure airport that is most relevant to your location.
(3) AnalyticCookies are used to gather statistics on how you navigate and perform transactions on our website, including but not limited to:
- Collect your fly experience and satisfaction data through questionnaires;
- Understand how you navigate our website and trading practices to improve the usability.
- Allow our website to serve up different versions of web pages for marketing purposes;
- Allow third parties to provide appropriate advertising and track their effectiveness;
- Display relevant messages which offer a selection of products based on your browsing behaviors on our website and certain other websites.
We also place third-party tracking code on our website, where a short text is written on the user's hard disk through the browser to read Cookies for the following usage:
- Determine and track visitor volume linked from third-party website's online advertisement to our website;
- Track the usage of our website for improvement;
- Display the promotion information or advertisement of products searched by the user, such as email, social media and banner advertisement.
You can adjust your browser settings to change our Cookies. If you prevent us from setting specific Cookies, you may find that some functions are not available or that certain parts of the website will not load. Find out how to adjust the settings for different browsers:
We will amend this Cookies Policy from time to time, and the changes will be effective from the date of posting; and the updated version will replace the earlier versions. Any changes to this Cookies Policy will be posted on www.china-airlines.com or App, and the date will be stamped so that you are aware of when the Policy was last updated.